Regarding votes and polls

About 8 hours ago I posted my first poll on G+, I've seen plenty of other polls on subjective things like "Who do you think is the worst companion on Nu-Dr.Who?" or "What's the best D&D setting?", but I thought I'd do something a bit different. I created a rendered CG form that I'd been working on, stripped away all the context, and asked people to pick a size for it.

  1. Handheld
  2. The size of a single person escape pod
  3. Maybe the size of a small shuttle
  4. A cruiser (maybe 100m)
  5. Massive (a kilometre or so)

Here's the image.


It was proposed that maybe the form was the size of a tablet "Take two of these an call me in the morning" (+David VC), and certainly that was a size option I hadn't added to the mix.

At this point, I've had 53 votes in the following pattern

  1. 6
  2. 7
  3. 13
  4. 16
  5. 11

Generally, that gives high votes around the small shuttle or cruiser size. I can see that, the level of detailing might need to be higher in a larger form, the bulbous forms at one end (which might be fuel pods) and the structural scaffolding seem to imply upper and lower limits around that point.

I'm seeing the various vote levels as exponential size categories, each one ten times longer than the one before.

  1. 10 - 20cm
  2. 1 - 2m
  3. 10 - 20m
  4. 100 - 200m
  5. 1km - 2km

With that in mind I'm thinking of throwing some formulas down to determine an average size for this thing. The mean average of the 53 votes is 3.35849. Because our votes are in an exponential progression of "10 to the x", we'd need to apply this mean average as an exponent. This gives us a figure around 2282.91. The base size is 10-20 cm (lets call it 15)...and that gives us an overall length of 342.43 metres.

A preliminary render of this piece of technology in the Darkhive might look like this. I think it's actually a bit big for the scale democratically chosen by the people (maybe twice as big as it needs to be), but I'll sort that out in the next render. There would also need to be some kind of damaged roof section where the ship/artefact crashed into the hive (unless it mystically teleported into it's current location).


I'll throw in a few more overgrown rubble piles and maybe a shanty town that scavenges stuff from this wreckage to trade with other communities.

Here's a wireframe of that model (before I've made the scale modifications).


 Time to modify some scales before we go much further.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Guide to Geomorphs (Part 7)