Something else to catch my eye...

I deliberately hold back on something to make sure it's done right.

I deliberately do extra research, years of extra research, by duscussing concepts with the communities related to the concept, modifying elements of the core, and playtesting iterations of the concept thoroughly.

I continually post elements of my work to show that the whole thing is still in development...

...then other people come along and do something in a similar vein.

Bastion

An Afrocentric post-apocalyptic sword and sorcery rpg. I can't help but see parallels to my own long term project, Walkabout, which is an Australian-Aboriginal-centric post-apocalyptic rpg. Both draw on distinctly non-European roots, both are post-apocalyptic, both are about heroes pushing back a darkness that warps the world. Beyond those superficial similarities there are a lot of differences, as I would have hoped. I don't know how much acyual research that team has done regarding their setting, or whether they're just pasting a veneer of Afrocentric coolness in the wake of Black Panther.


I wish them all the best with this project, regardless of how well it us researched or executed, we need more interesting stories from parts of the world that have generally been ignored or even suppressed. If they've done it poorly, it will open a door for new designers (and hopefully designers of African origins, and those who grew up in the culture) to share their stories, and do it right. If they've done it well, then it will be a great opportunity to expand those stories with additional narratives that give even richer depth to that part of the world.

For my own Walkabout project, I guess that "perfect is the enemy of good". The longer I hold off on the project, the more chance someone else will generate a Australian-Aboriginal-centric post-apocalyptic game of their own. They'll probably have money behind them and good production values and I'll just look like someone who is copying them, even though I've been trying to get things right for years. It's all perfectionism, anxiety, and depression kicking in, the bane of my creativity for years now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Guide to Geomorphs (Part 7)