Game Chef 2011 (Progress Report)

I've come to the conclusion that what I'm trying to write for this contest is basically "Primetime Adventures" for an Elizabethan/Jacobean play instead of a TV show.

It's mostly all about relationships between characters, and fitting that into a 5 act structure.

...the problem is that I keep trying to add "Realism" into the mix. I want characters to have relations to one another, but I also want them to have relationships to areas ("This is my home ground", "This is somewhere I'm not liked"), and I want these relationships to evolve in play. In fact, that's one of the important parts to this game and to the plays of the era. Characters grow, relationships change.

But I don't want the final product to become a convoluted mess of systems and subsystems.

Maybe I need to sleep on it again.

Comments

Wordman said…
I would ditch the notion of relations to areas, for the reason that it is not particularly Shakespearean. I'm finding it hard to think of any person-area relation that really matters much in any Shakespeare play. I mean, yeah, Henry V cares about France, but it could be anywhere else and the play doesn't change that much.

It's hard to even think of a specific location in a Shakespeare play. Julet's balcony is famous, but there is no real relation there. The Tempest is in an isolated place, I suppose, but the exact location and specifics of that place don't matter that much to the script.
Vulpinoid said…
Good point.

That will streamline things a bit as well.

Popular posts from this blog

A Guide to Geomorphs (Part 7)