RPGaDay 25&26

 ....some kind of viral infection has taken me down over the last couple of days, so this should have been posted 2 days ago. Sorry

25. Familiarity

One of the things I love about being familiar with a bunch of different games is being able to bring across fun game mechanics from one system and use them to tailor the session experience in another. I also love it when different players in a group are familiar with different elements of play, and various members of the group can become the default experts for specific subsystems. This was really apparent in the old LARP campaigns I was a part of (and often ran). There was simply too mush happening for one person to handle, so sub-GMs became necessary, each being familiar with the stuff they knew best... one handled the gods, one handled trade, one handled the town guard, etc...

I've seen a few smaller scale tabletop games split GM duties in similar ways, but I haven't necessarily experienced this done successfully in a more intimate group. Maybe I just haven't found the right group for this. 

26. Regret

One of the biggest regrets when it comes to TTRPGs is leaving so many of my projects in an unfinished state, and never getting back to them. I've probably got a backlog of thirty or forty projects that are in various states of completion and which I'd love to get back to if I had the time, or could focus my ADHD brain back into. 

The positive side has meant that I've been able to hand over some of these ideas to Erin, who has taken a few of them and brought them to a completed state as she's learned the ropes of game design and had numerous discussions with me regarding how I understand games to work, and how we could refine the session experience in different ways. I guess that also leads to some other regrets... so many opportunities lost, so many times I felt like I could have been a part of something bigger, which never eventuated.

However, there's not real point dwelling on the past. I always figure that it's better to move forward. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Game Mechani(sm) of the Week #18: Life Path

Storifying Mage: the Ascension (Part 7) - Skills and Magic