RPGaDay (Day 18)

Favourite SF RPG


Hmm...time to look through the bookshelves.

Again, I could easily point to the "Technocracy" Books from Mage: the Ascension, but I'm trying to avoid using that game series for all my answers.

Rifts... I love bits of it, but overall it's an incoherent mess.

Cyberpunk 2020... It was near future sci-fi when I was playing it back in the 90s. Now it feels more like a speculative version of the present, where a lot of current life exists in the game, but there are a few points where our timeline deviated. It still has a special nostalgic place in my heart, but for hard sci-fi...nope.

I guess that might be a question in itself...hard or soft sci-fi?

Firefly/cortex... This has a simple system, and a setting I like, but there's no particular cohesion between them. It feels a bit sprawling, it doesn't particularly capture the feeling I want from the show, it's an all-purpose toolkit with a few components that prompt some ideas. Generally, it has blended into the background of vanilla gaming systems that don't particularly stand out to me.

For a game that does one thing, and does that one thing well, I'd point to 3:16. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but you know where you stand with it. I've had some great sessions with this game.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Game Mechani(sm) of the Week #18: Life Path

A Guide to Geomorphs (Part 7)