RPGaDay 2024 (Day 9 and 10)

Day 9 - An accessory you'd like to see

In the last few years there have been so many good gaming accessories that I haven't really been able to keep up with them. So there are probably a whole heap of options that I'd like to see, which already exist.

I've seen dice apps for various games, I've seen dice trays, customisable figures with magnetic limbs that can mix-and-match they appearances and equipment. I've seen character diaries and journals to immerse yourself in the world of the game, sound mixing programs that add background noises to an adventure session, I've seen props of significant items from D&D appear in my local gaming and pop-culture stores (a replica "Hand of Vecna" for example). The accessories I'd like to see are the kinds of things that have been bombarding us from Hasbro as advertisements for D&D, but shifted to the indie games.  

But generally, this whole hobby is a combination of improv, theatre of the mind, and communal storytelling with sets of guiding rules. I'm going to put on my old man hat here and suggest that in a lot of cases accessories distract from the essence of the game. 

Day 10 - RPG you'd like to see on TV

I'd love to see one of my own game ideas picked up as a TV program. I could really see my Walkabout project working well as a serialised TV program like Fallout or something on one of the streaming services, but my fear is that someone would take the basic ideas and past them onto a vanilla fantasy or post apocalypse story and dilute the whole concept. 

This kind of begs the question which RPG would I curse with a bad TV adaption.

I think a good TV series could come from a game that has a really strong visual style and premise. With this in mind, I'd love to see an SLA Industries TV show. It's a game I was always interested in, but never managed to get to a table because people just didn't grok it. It'd be pretty niche, but a TV show might expand the audience enough to get the setting the love I think it's needed over these past few decades.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Guide to Geomorphs (Part 7)