RPGaDay 2024 (Day 7 and 8)

Day 7 - RPG with "Good Form"

What constitutes an RPG with good form? This is probably something everyone is struggling with. Different people will have their own definitions for this.  

My definition of this is basically a game that does what it says on the cover, and it does that thing well. It's not the kind of game where you ignore half of the rules, or a game where you have to make up a bunch of your own rules to make it playable.

For the epic feel of sci-fi war against overwhelming odds, with a political backstory explaining why the homeworld uses and abuses you (in the vein of "Aliens" or "Starship Troopers") I love 3:16. It doesn't do much, but what it does is done well. It's simple, strips back all the stuff that these stories don't really touch on, and if focuses on killing things...lots of things.

As long as I've had players in the right frame of mind, I've never had a bad game with this. 

Day 8 - An accessory you appreciate

I wish I knew where this got to.

This was one of my favourite all-time gaming accessories, combining my love of coffee with my love of Mage: the Ascension. I grabbed this picture from the internet, and with the chip in the top edge on the right mug and the broken handle, it looks like others have struggled through the years too. I remember the mug I had was missing had a broken handle...this showed the use and abuse, and basically fit the theme of Mage for me. The more power you drain from reality, the more chance you get hit by paradox and things go wrong...

...maybe I'm reading too much into it.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Guide to Geomorphs (Part 7)