RPGaDay 2024 (Days 1 and 2)

 I'm going to take a break from posting about Walkabout for this month... there's a bunch of boring development and page layout stuff happening in that regard, and hopefully there will be some more interesting things to post about it once I've given the project some space to breath.

...another way to look at it is that a watched pot never boils... so let's looks at some other things for a few weeks.

I haven't done an RPGaDay for a few years. I found that for a while they started getting a bit monotonous and repetitive. But let's try it again this years and see what the questions are... I'll probably run them in batches of 2 or 3 rather than daily responses because I often struggle to get enough time for regular daily posting of images on Instagram, let alone detailed paragraphs of text.


Day 1 - First RPG bought this year

I think the only RPG I've bought this year is Mothership. However, I'm generally non-plussed on it, and haven't had the chance to get it to a table (or to my high-school gaming club) yet. There looks like some interesting things happening in it, but like a lot of recent games it feels like it's struggling to fill a void between OSR games and Storygames...without committing to any particular course between them. I've seen a bunch of reviews for it that have claimed it is massively revolutionary, and a wonder to behold...but maybe I've just been exposed to too many other RPGs. I just read it and thought "I've seen this bit in that game", "I've seen that bit in some other game", "It's interesting that they've done this from that other game"... it kind of felt like a blend of a few different games that I've played before, but didn't seem to mesh the rules together all that well. 

Apparently there's a second edition which has cleaned up a lot about the game, and I really need to give that version a look because I really want to love this game, but the first edition just doesn't feel quite there for me.

Day 2 - Most recently played

I'm going to count the most rcent game that I've run, because the most recent game I've played was about 4 years ago. The last game I ran was as a paid GM at out local nightspot, The Press. I played a hybrid session of D&D and A Penny for My Thoughts. I posted about it here. Lots of fun. I really want to get some playtest sessions happening for Walkabout soon... we'll see.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Guide to Geomorphs (Part 7)