RPGaDay 2024 (Day 5 and 6)

Day 5 - RPG with great writing

I remember first being blown away by the writing of Castle Falkenstein. The idea of a game as an in setting artifact describing the world was really cool. However, as I'm writing this, the first time I remember encountering this sort of thing was in the supplements for the game Chill.  

Chronica Feudalis was one of the games that really took this to a new level. I'm not sure I've seen a game do this idea better since.

Day 6 - RPG that is easy to use



One of the easiest games I've ever used was Peril Planet's Freeform Universal, and it's little wonder the game has such a fanatical following. Boiling everything down to a simply positive or negative modifier makes the game streamlined and intuitive. It also means that the game can have complexity added to it once players are used to how the system works. I've done a couple of games over the years which are basically hacks of this system, and they've all run pretty smoothly. It has generally become a benchmark that I use to see if my game designs flow and are easy to use.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Guide to Geomorphs (Part 7)