RPGaDay2017 #24

Share a PWYW publisher who should be charging more.

No.

People who offer their games as "pay-what-you-want" (PWYW) do so because they want people playing their games, they aren't greedy corporate leeches charging hundreds of dollars for a few crappily cast figurines, bits of poorly laid out cardboard, and a few custom dice in a box. These are people passionate about the hobby and I think that this passion would be killed if money were to get involved.

I turn over a decent number of games through PWYW, more than half of the time they go into someone's hands for free, often they throw a nominal amount of money my way, sometimes I'm surprised to see a game get more than I expected. I don't make my living from game design work, it would be nice, but at the moment it's my fun, my hobby, my release from the stress of other things in my life. If I can see that my games are trickling out there, that's great. If I put a dollar value on them, there's the risk that they'll dry up completely.

Most of the game designers I respect put out a range of free, PWYW, and paid gaming products.    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Guide to Geomorphs (Part 7)