RPGaDay 21&22
21.Charity
A loose definition here might be "giving to those in need", and in a TTRPG context it often means sharing the load of the storytelling, or sharing the limelight with someone who might not have been getting their share. I always try to offer these chances to less active players whether I'm the GM or a player. Similarly, where possible, I'll try to set up scenes and actions that not only give other players the opportunity to influence the session, but offer the ability to highlight aspects of their characters that may not have been revealed yet. I want to help facilitate their escapism, to make the game memorable and fun.
TTRPGs are not a zero-sum game. If every individual member of the group is having fun, then the group's overall fun increases too. I always want players to come back.
22. Grit
The amount of grit in a TTRPG can really influence whether or not certain players will respond to the themes within. Gritty TTRPGs often focus on survival against the odds, high risk, and consequences that impact on fragile characters in a hostile world. Non-gritty TTRPGs are often more heroic, with a lot of the dangers hand-waved away to focus on escapism with positive outcomes. In my research for this prompt, I don't think I can do much better than this post over on "Campaign Mastery".
What I will add here, is that I appreciate the right level of grit for the type of story being told. If I'm looking for a system that tells stories of epic deeds and heroics, I probably don't want to be tracking rations and arrows. Conversely, if I'm looking for a system to tell stories of dirty urban street-stories, then I probably don't want fantasical magic and whimsy (unless I'm playing Changeling the Dreaming). Degree of grit is another factor that plays into ludonarrative synergy or dissonance.
If I'm designing games, I aim for a midpoint, often providing tools to push the mechanisms of play toward, or away from, grittiness in the session.

Comments